Meet Our Orthodontists
Dominic A. Colarusso, Jr., DDS, is a practicing orthodontist and President of Orthodontists Associates of Western New York, PC with seven convenient offices located throughout Buffalo, Lancaster, Olean, Hamburg, Orchard Park, Dunkirk, East Aurora, and Niagara Falls New York.
After receiving the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from Howard University in 1982, Dr. Colarusso attended the University at Buffalo School of Dentistry, where he received a Certificate in Orthodontics in 1984. He is licensed to practice orthodontics in New York and Pennsylvania.
A member of St. Mary’s of the Angels RC Church, Olean, New York, and Past-Chairman of its annual church festival, Dr. Colarusso is also a member and past President of the Olean Exchange Club.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, Howard University
- Certificate in Orthodontics, University of Buffalo School of Dentistry
Steven J. Hietanen, DDS, is a practicing orthodontist and Vice President of Orthodontists Associates of Western New York, PC.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery from the University at Buffalo School of Dentistry, 1988
- Certificate in Orthodontics from Columbia University, 1993
Dr. Dusel, a native of East Aurora, New York, received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Ithaca College in 2002, and his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, magna cum laude, from University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine in 2007. He was an active member in the Buffalo Outreach and Community Assistance program and even traveled to the Dominican Republic on a dental mission trip in 2006. Dr. Dusel completed his orthodontic training at Montefiore Medical Center at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City in 2010, receiving his Certificate in Orthodontics after a clinical-based, 3-year program. He also received the department award for excellence in the teaching of dental/medical students during his residency program.
Dr. Dusel is very familiar with Orthodontists Associates of Western New York as he was an assistant and lab technician for a year prior to entering dental school. He has spent a good deal of time in the office during his dental and orthodontic training so that his transition into the office would be seamless. Rather like Dr. Hietanen and Dr. Colarusso, Dr. Dusel has experience treating a wide range of patients with the focus on early treatment orthodontics. Especially relevant is his experience treating children, adolescents, and adults. He has also treated complex craniofacial patients and cleft palate patients with the Craniofacial Team at Montefiore Medical Center. He has thorough training in surgical orthodontics and is Invisalign® Certified.
Dr. Dusel is proud to be an orthodontist on the Craniofacial team at Oshei Children’s Hospital. The Craniofacial Center aims to help improve outcomes for patients through coordinated care, education, research and advocacy. The Center specializes in the treatment of cleft lip & palate, craniofacial malformations, craniosynostosis, ear anomalies, and hypernasal speech. The team is nationally recognized as an American Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Association (ACPA) Approved Team, and fully approved by the Commission on Approval of Teams as a Cross-Specialty Team.
Dr. Dusel is a parishioner at Immaculate Conception Church in East Aurora. He also enjoys playing in the BDSL Soccer League, running, platform tennis, waterskiing at Rushford Lake, and snow skiing at Holimont in Ellicottville. He enjoys spending time with his wife, Helen, who is a pediatric dentist in the area, and their daughters, Eva and Mila, along with their Bernese mountain dog, Blakeley. They enjoy life on their farm in East Aurora.
- Dr. Dusel is a native of East Aurora, New York, and graduated from East Aurora High School in 1998.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Ithaca College, 2002
- Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, magna cum laude, from University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, 2007
- Recipient of the Dean’s Award during his fourth year for outstanding academics and community service.
- As an active member in the Buffalo Outreach and Community Assistance (BOCA) program, he even traveled to the Dominican Republic on a dental mission trip in 2006.
- Furthermore, he was an active member of the Dental School Admissions Committee during his fourth year, and rejoined the committee after his residency program.
- Dr. Dusel completed his orthodontic training at Montefiore Medical Center at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City in the spring of 2010. Soon thereafter, he received his Certificate in Orthodontics after a clinical-based, 3-year program. Dr. Dusel also received the department award for excellence in teaching of dental/medical students during his three-year residency program.
“I love to help people achieve beautiful, healthy smiles. Seeing a patient when their treatment is finished empowers me to be the best orthodontist I can possibly be. The past 33 years have been far more fulfilling than I could have ever thought possible.“
Originally from Utica, NY, I now reside in East Amherst. My family and friends, as well as my three dogs and 12 cats, keep me busy when I’m not in the office. During my free time, I enjoy running, playing golf, reading, and writing.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of Buffalo
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the University of Buffalo
- Orthodontic Certification from the University of Connecticut
- I take more than 100 hours of CE each year in order to keep up with the latest advancements in orthodontics and in general dentistry as well. The majority of my continuing education is received through my memberships with the American Dental Association, the New York State Dental Association, the Eighth District Orthodontic Academy, and the Eighth District Dental Society.
Dr. Mindy Nguyen
Dr. Mindy Nguyen is a practicing orthodontist at Orthodontists Associates of Western New York, PC with seven convenient offices located throughout Buffalo, Lancaster, Olean, Hamburg, Orchard Park, Dunkirk, East Aurora, and Niagara Falls New York.
Dr. Nguyen has an approach to patient care and exceptional expertise that aligns perfectly with the Orthodontists Associates of New York philosophy of exceptional care. Her years of experience and passion for working with kids makes her the perfect addition to our team. Dr. Nguyen incorporates innovative techniques and methods while giving a personal touch to each patient’s treatment plan, thereby enabling our practice to continue providing the best orthodontic treatment available.
When she’s not in the office caring for our patients, Dr. Nguyen enjoys reading, hiking, and baking. At home, her dental passion is complemented by her fiancé, who is currently completing his oral surgery residency at the University of Buffalo.
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Orthodontic residency at Roseman College of Dental Medicine