Identifying Early Orthodontic Issues
Have you been wondering if your children are exhibiting signs of early orthodontic problems? You probably have questions about when is the best time to schedule your child’s first orthodontic consultation. In the following educational video, dedicated Orchard Park orthodontist Dr. Steven J. Hietanen goes over the importance of identifying early orthodontic issues in children, and the warning signs to look for. If you are considering early orthodontic treatment for your child, please contact our office today to arrange a free Orthodontists Associates of WNY consultation.
- Certain problems, such as the relationship between the upper and lower jaws, can benefit from early orthodontic treatment.
- The upper jaw behaves like a door frame that accepts a door closing into it. A small upper jaw might affect the way the lower jaw is able to close into it. A patient with such a jaw might develop a crossbite. A unilateral crossbite is one problem we prefer to see prior to age seven. It is treated with a simple appliance that corrects the width of the upper jaw while allowing the lower jaw to recenter itself. It, therefore, contributes to more favorable future growth.
- Other patients we like to see early on include those who show signs of tongue dysfunction. Or patients who may have developed certain detrimental habits. Sometimes, an orthodontist can talk with these patients and help them to stop a finger habit, for example. If we recognize a tongue pattern problem and cannot treat it ourselves, we may refer the parent to someone who can help.
- Very often, tongue dysfunction that is not contributing to an educational deficiency is overlooked because a school’s speech pathologist may not want to identify a tongue thrust.
- We feel that regardless of age, if a parent suspects something is wrong, it is a good age to bring the patient in. Allow us to make a critical evaluation of anything that might contribute to a poor oral environment.
Orthodontists Associates of Western New York is proud to offer orthodontic treatment throughout Buffalo, Lancaster, Olean, Hamburg, Orchard Park, and Dunkirk, New York. If you are considering orthodontic care for yourself or a loved one, please contact us today to arrange your free Orthodontists Associates of WNY consultation.