How Does Invisalign Work?
You may have been considering Invisalign clear aligners but have questions about how they work, and how effective they are. One of the most common questions we get asked about Invisalign clear aligners is “How does invisalign work?” Watch this video by experienced Buffalo orthodontist Dr. Steven J. Hietanen to learn more about invisalign clear aligners.
- Most patients who come in for a consultation ask if they can be treated with Invisalign. However, they do not quite understand how Invisalign actually works. The first step is to take a digital scan of the [patient’s mouth using a wand. This creates a 3-dimensional representation of the mouth and teeth of that patient.
- The first representation is sent to the Invisalign headquarters. There, a technician resets all of the teeth utilizing computer software. The case is then sent back to us. Following this, we evaluate whether or not the technician moved the teeth properly.
- Using our software, we fine-tune what the technician did in an attempt to improve upon the result they achieved.
- This process is repeated several times. Once we have finalized and accepted our treatment plan, we move on to next steps.
- Once accepted, Invisalign will print the retainers using a 3-D printer. This printer actually prints those plastic trays. A patient contemplating a one-year treatment will need 26 sets of retainers to be printed out. This includes both top and bottom jaws. Those retainers are shipped to our office to be dispensed to the patient through the course of the treatment. We may stretch appointments out, giving patients 4-6 sets of retainers and asking them to wear each set for 10-14 days.
Orthodontists Associates of Western New York is proud to offer braces for all ages throughout Buffalo, Lancaster, Olean, Hamburg, Orchard Park, and Dunkirk, East Aurora, and Niagara Falls New York. If you are considering orthodontic treatment for yourself or a loved one, please contact one of our 7 convenient orthodontic offices to arrange a free consultation.
Like us on Facebook!
At Orthodontists Associates of Western New York, our reputation as a leader in orthodontic care is based on one thing… Making a Healthy and Beautiful Smile