Airway Obstructions and Orthodontics
If you are here because you or a loved one is having trouble breathing, you’re probably looking for solutions. In this educational video, experienced Buffalo orthodontist Dr. Steven J. Hietanen explains how orthodontic care can alleviate airway obstructions in patients. If you have questions about orthodontics and airway obstructions, If contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
- First of all, we will look at a record and then try to see the nasal cavity. Furthermore, we will review the relative size of nasopharynx to the tonsils.
- Blockages in the airway will contribute to a low tongue position.
- Patients who cannot breathe through the nose will unfortunately become mouth breathers.
- Keeping your tongue low creates a width in the upper jaw. So, when there is conic low tongue position, the width of the tongue narrows. It will not go back to its normal self unless an orthodontist fixes it.
- The narrow upper jaw can decrease the width of the nasal cavity.
- Surgery of tonsils and adenoids are only part of the battle along with orthodontics to get the most favorable outcome to the issue.
Orthodontists Associates of Western New York is proud to offer orthodontic treatment throughout Buffalo, Lancaster, Olean, Hamburg, Orchard Park, and Dunkirk, New York. If you are considering orthodontic care for yourself or a loved one, please contact us today to arrange your free Orthodontists Associates of WNY consultation.
At Orthodontists Associates of Western New York, our reputation as a leader in orthodontic care is based on one thing… Making a Healthy and Beautiful Smile